Being a Section Leader does not have to be hard, but it does have to be intentional.
The primary purpose of Sections is to facilitate the connecting of people in biblical community. There are 150-200 seats in each of our Sections and, believe it or not, that is a little larger than the average size church in America today. No Section Leader, however talented or experienced they may be, is able to adequately serve that size congregation alone. Therefore, the key to successfully creating healthy Section community is through a strong team of Section Hosts.
In order to accomplish our mission of biblical community, Section Leaders and Hosts need to be pastoral. This is primarily accomplished when everyone on the team is intentional to connect, care, and invite each week.
Section Hosts are so vitally important. Here are some key strategies to successfully build a strong team:
- Pray for faithful men and women to sense the Holy Spirit leading them to serve.
- Look for those who regularly attend church (3 out of 4 weeks per month), arrive early to service, and linger afterward to fellowship with others.
- Let them know how you have observed them and ask them to join you in your efforts each week to create community in your section.
- Ask your friends and people you know who are pastoral — whether they are an extrovert or introvert — to join you in serving your Section.
- Lead by example. Do the things you ask and expect of your Hosts.
- Serve your Hosts the way you want them to serve members of your Section. Pray for them, encourage and support them any way you are able.
- Celebrate the success of your team by sharing testimonies of what God has done in and through them.
You will be amazed at the sense of fulfillment you experience as a leader when you consistently serve others together with a strong Host team.
Remember: it does not have to be hard, but it does have to be intentional.